Now, I don’t claim to be an expert at this blogging thing at all, in fact after 2 and half years I still feel like I’m stumbling about in the darkness some days. However one thing I would say I’m almost an expert of is blogging slumps. I love blogging and books and reading yet every so often I just stop completely and can’t bring myself to blog or read or join in with the community at all for over a month. But, despite all these blogging slumps I’m still here and I love blogging as much as ever so I thought I’d share some of my top tips for how to get out of a blogging slump.
- Don’t feel guilty. This is the most important one. It’s ok if you need to take a break or don’t feel up to blogging for a while. Blogging is a hobby so it shouldn’t feel like a chore. If you take a break, the book blogging community will still be here to welcome you back with open arms when you want to come back. We all understand and probably most of us have been through exactly the same thing.
- Remember why you started blogging. If you don’t feel like blogging, think about what caused you to choose to start blogging in the first place. Look back at your first post and when you read it, I’m sure you’ll be able to hear the excitement. Take trip down memory lane and look at your proudest blogging achievements and favourite comments.
- Get involved in the community again. Visit other people’s blogs, get involved in conversations on Twitter, message some of your best blogging friends, do whatever you want to be part of the community. For so many of us, the community and the people we get to meet are the reason we keep blogging. Chatting with these people might encourage you to start blogging again.
- Think of something you want to write about and write it. Don’t be held back by reviews you need to write or memes you have to take part in. Don’t worry about what you think you should write or what your readers want to read but write something you’re interested in. Sometimes as bloggers we can get carried away by what we think our responsibilities are, when really we should just be writing posts that we would like to read.
- Pick up an old favourite. Reread a book that you loved, whether it’s from last year or when you were a kid, there’s nothing like reading a book you know you will enjoy, to get back into the reading and hopefully blogging spirit. Then if you’re feeling it, you could write a post about this is a book you love and want to reread
These are just a few of my tips, but that’s not to say they’ll work for everyone. Each person is different and has different ways of dealing with stuff so share your best tips for getting out of a blogging slump. What do you do get yourself back into blogging?